Top-9 Best Hair Loss Shampoos to Treat Your Thinning Hair!
Are you experiencing hair loss? This is something that most men will have to deal with at some point in their lives, and it is something that many women must deal with as well. In fact, nearly two-thirds of all American men will have dealt with hair loss in one form or another by the time they are 35 years old, according to the American Hair Loss Association.
So, are there any products out there that can help to treat and prevent thinning hair? The answer is a resounding “yes”! But, you need to do your research in order to find the product that is going to best work for your particular hair loss problem. This is where we come in. We have compiled a list of shampoos for thinning hair that actually work! Along with this list, you will also find loads of information that will help you to learn about hair loss, the causes, how to choose the best regrowth shampoo, and more. Let’s get started with our favorite hair loss shampoos.
The first thing we should say here is that not all hair growth shampoos are alike. Some make claims that they will completely restore your hair, and will try to make you believe that even if you are completely bald, their products will restore a full head of hair. This is a bunch of baloney! There is NO product out there that can bring about these results. But, there are products that can help to prevent hair thinning, and even help to make your hair thicker. Some users also report some new growth since they have been using the following products.
2018's Reviews Of The Best Hair Loss Shampoo
Hair Loss Shampoo
While dandruff doesn’t cause baldness, scratching an itchy scalp does. This anti-dandruff shampoo helps to fight dandruff outbreaks, and controls flaking, scaling, and itching. It has a fresh, clean smell, and is safe for all types of hair, including chemically-treated hair.
- Contains 1% of ketoconazole that fights dandruff outbreaks to control flaking, scaling, and itching.
- Has a fresh, clean smell.
- Only needs to be used twice weekly.
- Lather is thick and rich.
- Works well with any conditioner.
- Can be used on color-treated, grey, damaged and chemically processed hair.
This shampoo is specifically for color-treated hair. It hydrates and nourishes, along with strengthening the hair. It is a vegan product, and completely sulfate and phthalate-free. Users with thinning hair report results in just a few uses, and some have noticed significant hair growth.
- Contains no harsh ingredients and is sulfate and phthalate-free, so it protects natural oils rather than strip them.
- Contains Saw Palmetto, which helps to clean the scalt of DHT and environmental residue that cause hair loss.
- Bosley's unique ingredient blend called LifeXtendComplex makes hair look fuller, thicker and more resilient.
- Contains Pentapeptides that stimulate collagen production.
- Shampoo contains of of the best antifulgal ingredient called MCT (methylchloroisothiazolinone).
- Soy Amido Acid - penetrates the hair shaft to improve strength&help hair feel thicker
- Plankton Extract helps protect from photo-aging, frequent washing & damage from brushing
- Made for color-treated hair, hydrating and nourishing dry ends and roots.
- Hydrates, nourishes, and strengthens hair.
- This product is completely vegan, and anyone with color-treated hair can use it.
- Users report significant hair growth in just a few uses.
#3. PURA D’OR Anti-Hair Loss Premium Organic Argan Oil Shampoo - Editor's Choice
This product contains only natural ingredients, and no preservatives. Ingredients include pumpkin seed and black cumin seed oil, nettle, and more, and there are no parabens. This is a hypo-allergenic shampoo that is cruelty-free, gluten-free, and safe for color treated hair. It contains powerful DHT blockers to help fight and prevent hair loss.
- Contains only natural ingredients, including pumpkin seed and black cumin seed oil, nettle, and others.
- Completely paraben-free, gluten-free, and hypo-allergenic.
- This product is cruelty-free, and not tested on animals.
- Contains powerful DHT blockers to help fight and prevent hair loss.
- Safe for daily use, for all hair types, and for men and women.
This is a hair loss shampoo that contains caffeine, which is known to stimulate hair growth. It is effective for both men and women, and users say that they saw results within a couple of weeks of use. Ingredients include caffeine, saw palmetto, and ketoconazole, which until now has only been used in anti-dandruff shampoos.
- Contains caffeine, an ingredient known to stimulate hair growth.
- Effective for both men and women, and users see results within a couple of weeks.
- Ingredients include saw palmetto, caffeine, and ketoconazole, which until now has only been used in anti-dandruff shampoos.
- 100% money-back guarantee if not satisfied and do not see results after using this product.
- Users report healthy hair that has more volume, and faster growth is noticed.
Here is another natural hair loss treatment for men and women that really works. It is loaded with nutrients that help to promote hair growth, as well as Procapil, an herbal DHT blocker. Users noticed significant changes in the quality of their hair in just a couple of weeks of using this product, and say that their hair is also softer and shinier than ever.
- Users notice thicker, fuller hair in just a couple of weeks of using this product.
- Stimulates hair growth by 121%, and reduces hair loss by 46%.
- Makes hair easier to manage, and gives it more body, volume, shine, and softness.
- Contains patented Procapil, which was developed in Europe and is proven to decrease hair loss and grow new hair.
- Loaded with hair-nourishing nutrients, including Procapil, an herbal DHT blocker.
- Contains SLES
This product helps to remove toxins from the scalp to promote new hair growth and prevent hair thinning. It is safe for color-treated hair, and contains no sulfates. Users notice both an improvement in dandruff control, as well as thicker, fuller hair. Some users even reported that it helped to clear up their acne.
- Helps to remove toxins from the scalp to prevent thinning hair and promote new growth.
- Safe for color-treated hair, and can be used by both men and women.
- Contains no sulfates and other harsh chemicals that strip the natural oils from your hair.
- Users notice thicker, fuller hair within a couple of weeks, and some reported that their acne cleared up after using this product.
- Many users also noticed that this product helps to treat and fight dandruff.
This is an all-natural hair loss shampoo that is guaranteed to work, or you get your money back. Ingredients include coconut oil, jojoba oil, black castor oil, Ylang ylang, green tea, and many other nutrient-filled ingredients. It has a fresh, clean smell, and is safe for all hair types.
- All natural, with no harsh chemicals to strip your hair of essential oils.
- Guaranteed to improve the texture and fullness of your hair, or your money back.
- Contains coconut oil, jojoba oil, black castor oil, Ylang ylang, green tea, and many other natural ingredients.
- Has a clean, fresh smell.
- Safe to use for all hair types, and can be used by both men and women.
Here is a blend of argan oil, aloe vera, white willow bark, rosemary, thyme, and many other healthy, natural ingredients that help to promote healthy hair and reduce hair loss. It also contains natural DHT blockers, and is 100% natural. Users report fuller hair, and less scalp irritation shortly after using this product.
- Contains argan oil, aloe vera, white willow bark, rosemary, thyme, and many other healthy, natural ingredients to help promote healthy hair and reduce hair loss.
- Contains natural DHT blockers, and is 100% natural.
- Users report fuller, thicker hair in just a couple of weeks of use.
- Users report less scalp irritation and dandruff shortly after using this product.
- This product is vegan, and cruelty-free.
Here is a product that contains no harsh ingredients, and keeps your hair soft, shiny, and clean looking. Users notice thicker hair within a couple of uses. This product is sulfate-free, so it won’t strip the natural oils from your hair, which can lead to hair loss. Users reported enjoying the fresh scent.
- Promotes healthy hair growth with natural ingredients, including aloe vera, birch essential oil, chamomile essential oil, chia seed oil, jojoba protein, and many others.
- Contains Aloe Vera that is rich in amino acids, vitamins: A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12 and proteins.
- Contains Birtch Oil, which has anticeptic and antibacterial effect, helps to strengthen the root of the hairs and prevents the formation of dandruff
- Horsetail Extract helps to increase blood circulation, nourishes hair follicles and assist hair growth
- Chia Seed Oil, which contains 60% of omega-fatty acid helps to re-hydrate skin and hair, and also soothe itching and iflammation.
- Rosemary Essential Oil helps to stimulate the hair folicules and increase the blood flow, encouriging hair growth.
- Helps to slow down hair loss in both men and women
- This product contains no sulfates that strip the natural oils from your hair
- Users report significantly thicker hair within just a couple of uses
- This product has a fresh, clean scent that is pleasurable
If you have thinning hair, or are worried about it happening, it is time to take action. All of the products we have discussed here can help to reverse the hair thinning, and you will start to notice thicker hair within a couple of weeks of regular usage. Out of all of these products, which our testers all liked, we have picked our absolute favorite: Pura D’Or Anti-Hair Loss Premium Organic Argan Oil Shampoo. We recommend that you try this, or any of the other products mentioned, in order to bring your hair back to the way it used to look, thick, full, shiny, and healthy.
Main Hair Loss Shampoo Ingredients
There are certain ingredients that are found in hair loss shampoos and other hair loss treatments that are specifically created to combat this common problem. The most common ingredients for hair loss are:
- Minoxidil – This is the most effective ingredient in the treatment of thinning hair products. While it is effective, it is expensive and takes a while to work.
- Amino Acids – These supply sulfur to the hair cells, and are essential for hair growth, strength, health, and retention.
- Keratin – This is a protein that can be found naturally in the body. It is essential for good hair health, and can be used to repair dry and damaged hair follicles.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Products that contain this ingredient will provide nourishment to the deepest layers of the scalp, helping to reduce hair loss and promote new hair growth.
- Caffeine – Not only does this wake you up, it wakes up your hair and helps it to grow. It is a known DHT blocker, and helps to stimulate the hair shaft to encourage growth.
- Apple Stem Cells – These come from Swiss apple trees, and can help to slow down the effects of aging on our hair.
- Biotin – This is also referred to as vitamin H, and it plays a big role in cell growth. It also is necessary in the production of amino acids, which are important for healthy hair, skin, and nails.
- Peppermint – This herb penetrates deep into the hair follicles to promote circulation and ultimately, new hair growth. It keeps the follicles clean and invigorated.
- Ketoconazole – Generally used for fungal infections, applied topically to the scalp, usually in the form of shampoo.
- Niacin – Also known as vitamin B3, is a vitamin that encourages healthy hair, helps to prevent hair loss, and promotes healthy hair growth.
- Lactic Acid – This is an alpha hydroxy acid that is used in many cosmetic applications, including hair loss treatments. It is the only acid that is healthy for hair.
- Tea Tree Oil – This essential oil has long been used for healthy, long hair. It comes from the leaves of the Melaleuca Alternifolia, a tree that is native to the northeast coast of New South Wales.
- Vitamin E – This vitamin has antioxidant properties that can help to repair damaged hair follicles and promote healthy hair growth.
What to Look For in a Great Hair Loss Shampoo?
You’ve probably heard a lot about the various types of hair loss shampoos that are on the market. But, do you know one from the other, and which ones are actually worth buying? Sure, we all see the commercials for Head & Shoulders. This is inexpensive, which is why so many people use it. But, it is loaded with ingredients that are going to eventually do more harm than good to your hair and scalp. So, let’s take a look at the things that make a great hair loss shampoo.
- DHT Blocker – DHT can lead to hair loss, so look for a shampoo that has a DHT blocker.
- Ingredients – When it comes to caring for hair, natural is best, so look for shampoos that have all or mainly natural ingredients. Synthetic ingredients can be damaging and cause thinning hair.
- Cayenne – This spice helps to stimulate circulation in the scalp by bring blood to the scalp, which in turn helps to prevent hair loss.
- Saw Palmetto – This is a natural DHT blocker.
- Caffeine – Shampoos that contain caffeine compounds help with thinning hair, because these compounds are natural DHA blockers, and also block testosterone and promote hair growth.
- Plant Stem Cells – These are known to stimulate new hair growth.
- Argan Oil – This helps to prevent hair follicle shrinkage as well as promote new hair growth. It also helps to keep your hair strong and healthy.
- Parabens – Look for products that are free of parabens, which contain estrogens that can lead to hair loss.
- Sulfates – Shampoos containing sulfates can strip the hair of natural oils, leading to hair loss and stopping new hair growth.
Questions to Consider
Now we are going to answer some common questions about hair loss, including the relationship between dandruff and hair loss, sulfate-free shampoos and hair loss, etc.
Q: Can dandruff cause hair loss?
A: While dandruff does not directly cause baldness, the two are connected. When you have dandruff, you have an itching and irritation, which leads to scratching. This in turn leads to scratching, which can lead to hair loss. Also, dandruff causes fungal secretions, which also lead to hair loss. In many cases, men who have thinning hair will also experience dandruff.
Q: What is the relationship between hair loss and fungi?
A: There are three fungal infections that can cause thinning hair:
- Dermatophytes – These attack the hair itself, and can prevent hair growth by inhibiting the scalp.
- Malessezia Infections – These are lipophilic yeasts that play a role in pityarisis caitis, which is a mild type of dermatitis.
- Piedra – This appears as black and white nodules around the base of hair follicles. There is black piedra, which thrives in tropical conditions and affects the scalp, and white piedra, which can attack any part of the body where there is hair.
Q: Do sulfate-free shampoos cause hair loss?
A: Often, hair loss is caused from too much sulfate in shampoos. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate are actually irritants, and they can lead to hair loss. To prevent this from happening, it is bet to actually use a shampoo that is sulfate-free. The shampoo should also contain ingredients that prevent hair loss and promote hair growth.
Q: What is the relationship between hair loss and DHT?
A: DHT (dihydrotestosterone) is a metabolite in the human body that is often the main cause of hair loss, both in men and women. DHT keeps the follicles from being able to grow hair. While some people are not affected by DHT, those who have a family history of baldness are more susceptible to it. The DHT will keep nutrients from supporting the hair follicles, which in turn restricts new growth.
Q: Is women’s and men’s hair loss the same?
A: While women and men both have genetic hair loss, it is different in women, with less chance of thinning hair in the crown and front area. Generally, hair loss in women is a gradual thing, and can take several years to be outwardly noticeable. There are more causes of thinning hair in women than men, including treatable conditions such as thyroid disease and polycystic ovary syndrome.
Q: Can regular shampoo lead to hair loss?
A: Regular shampoos can cause a lot of irritation due to the carcinogens that are in the ingredients. It is best to use shampoos that are made with natural ingredients, such as those we have listed in this article, to ensure a healthy scalp and hair. Look for products that are free of sulfates, and that won’t strip your hair of the natural oils it needs to stay healthy.
Q: Can anti-dandruff shampoo cause hair loss?
A: While dandruff is directly related to hair loss, you can rest assured that your anti-dandruff shampoo is not going to lead to hair loss. In most cases, hair loss is caused by genetic factors, as well as from using products that are loaded with harsh chemicals and can cause irritation of the scalp. Keep in mind that the way you wash your hair could be the problem. Do not use water that is too hot, or scrub too vigorously.
Q: Can dry shampoo cause hair loss?
A: While it is not scientifically proven that dry shampoo leads to hair loss, there are reasons to believe it does, and to avoid it. It soaks up oil and dries the scalp, leading to irritation. It can also cause clumping, which also leads to hair loss because when the hairs stick together, if one comes out, they all come out together. The dry shampoo builds up, and can cause the hair follicles to weaken.
Q: Why does hair loss shampoo cost so much?
A: There are ingredients in hair loss shampoos that you aren’t going to find in the cheaper, lower quality shampoos. These are natural ingredients that are proven to promote a healthy scalp and hair growth, and often they can be exotic and therefore a bit more on the expensive side. But, to have shiny, thick, healthy hair, isn’t the extra expense worth it?
Causes of Hair Loss
Before you can begin to treat hair loss, it is a good idea to learn more about the various causes of hair loss. We have already touched on this previously in this article. Now, let’s take a more in-depth look at the causes of hair loss, and how to treat it with special shampoos that have been created just for this purpose.
Most of us tend to lose up to 100 hairs daily, and we don’t even notice it because there is always new growth to replace it. But, when the growth cycle is disrupted, or when hair follicles are destroyed, real hair loss begins to come into play. There are other factors that can play a role in hair loss in addition to the things we have already discussed in this article:
- Family History – Heredity is the most common cause of hair loss, and is known as male or female-pattern baldness.
- Medical Conditions – There are a variety of medical conditions that can lead to hair loss, including alopecia areata (patchy hair loss), scalp infections, skin disorders, etc. Hormonal changes due to pregnancy, childbirth, menopause, etc. can also cause thinning hair.
- Medications – Some of the medications you take could be causing hair loss. These include drug for cancer, depression, heart conditions, high blood pressure, arthritis, and birth control. Too much vitamin A may also be the culprit.
- Other Causes – Other things that can lead to hair loss include radiation therapy to the head, an event that triggers temporary hair loss, certain hairstyles (ponytails are really bad because they pull at the hair), and some hair treatments.
Treating Hair Loss with the Right Shampoo
One of the biggest concerns that many people have about hair loss shampoos is the fact that they are washed right out. This leads people to wonder how well they can actually work, if the ingredients aren’t actually staying on the hair and being absorbed into the scalp. While this is right, it is only right to a point. Anything you use is going to help at least a little bit, no matter how long it is actually on your hair and scalp. Also, many of the ingredients in the hair loss shampoos listed in this article tend to work long after they have been rinsed away, because the nutrients have already done their job.
So, how do hair loss shampoos actually work? They are loaded with nutrients that help to promote a healthy scalp and hair. These nutrients are absorbed into the hair follicles, so even though you rinse out the shampoos, the nutrients continue to work to help restore your hair. The absorbed nutrients help to treat the follicles, and are also absorbed through the hair shaft for healthy, thick hair.
Other Popular Hair Loss Treatments
Along with shampoos and conditioners, there are numerous treatments that can be used to help prevent thinning hair, and to encourage the regrowth of healthy hair. These treatments include, but are not limited to:
- Diet – Your diet can play a huge role in the health of your hair. Eating foods that are high in protein can help keep your hair healthy and shiny. You may want to add vitamins or other supplements to your diet that are known to promote healthy hair.
- Laser Therapy – Some people choose to have in-office laser light therapy treatments to prevent hair loss. This won’t help to grow new hair, but it may help keep what you have from falling out.
- Surgery – Another option is hair replacement surgery. The biggest drawbacks to this are that it takes several sessions, and it is costly.
- Propecia – This is a drug that was originally developed to treat cancer. It works by blocking androgen production in the scalp, which causes follicles to close down and leads to baldness.
- Minoxidil – This is a topical treatment, and one of only two FDA-approved hair regrowth drugs. It helps to slow the process of hair loss, and in some cases, new growth is seen.